Paige Wolf is a publicist, author and green living expert who uses her media savvy and her personal moxie (which she has in spades!) to promote manageable eco-chic living. I connected with her when I was working on one of my first stories for Breathe—she’s been a great resource ever since. Her company, Paige Wolf Media & Public Relations, is a B Corporation-certified, eco-friendly PR firm focused on sustainable clientele, and she’s the author of Spit That Out! The Overly Informed Parent’s Guide to Raising Children in the Age of Environmental Guilt. You might recognize her from her television appearances, or from being featured by Boho, People.com and The Huffington Post, among others.
Read on for Paige’s approach to natural beauty, along with her latest favorites and must-haves—and prepare to be inspired!
When did you start using natural cosmetics, and what drew you to them? I really began learning the importance of natural cosmetics through my work with juju salon & organics, a wholly organic salon and spa in Philadelphia. In taking on the business as a public relations client in early 2008, I also began to change my personal beauty routine. I discovered that natural beauty products work just as well—and often better—than their conventional counterparts. And, of course, my eyes were opened to the dangerous and unnecessary chemicals in most conventional products. Since then I’ve expanded to working with several natural beauty brands including the luxury organic beauty retailer Spiritbeautylounge.com. I’ve been fortunate to try the very best natural beauty products on the market, and it’s become my personal mission to let people know how fabulous and glamorous natural beauty can be!
Your beauty philosophy: Natural self tanner, SPF moisturizer and lip color.
What, if any, synthetic products have you not been able to give up? At this point, I honestly don’t think I use any!
- Chocolate Sun Sunless Tanning Cream. The answer to streak-free, toxin-free, sun-ray-free beautifully tanned skin! And it smells delicious.
- Vapour Elixir Plumping Lip Gloss. Carry one everywhere—often the only thing I wear on my face.
- Skincando Combat Ready Balm. Ready for battle against mosquito bites, dry skin, and anything else the elements want to send my way.
- Beauty Without Cruelty Waterproof Mascara Black. Emotional girls need waterproof!
- Priti Polish. I don’t do manicures. But I refuse to have unpolished toenails.
- Soapwalla Deodorant. My most recommended product has created die-hard fans.
- Yarok Shampoo and Conditioner. I have tried it all for my big mess of hair, and this is my favorite.
- WoodSprite Get Whipped! Organic Shea Body Butter. I want to swim in an ocean of shea butter.
- Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser. Pricey but amazing.
- Vapour Organic Beauty Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation. Seriously, you have never tried anything like it.
- Malie Kauai Organic Aroma Mist. Spray on body, linens, everywhere.
- RMS Beauty Living Luminizer. Brings you back when you look like death warmed over.
If you could go back in time and give yourself advice on trying makeup for the first time, what would you say? Stop collecting those super toxic Lipsmackers and practically eating the things!
Which natural beauties inspire you? —Aleigh
Seeking more inspiration? Read previous Q&As with natural beauties, here.